Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Healthy Lunches

As I mentioned before, I am a social worker.  I regularly find myself in the car all day, or having emergencies when i expect to be in the office all day.   I don't make lunch too often for myself because I know myself, and if my lunch sits in the car with me all day,  I am not going to want it when it comes time to eat.  

Here are some meals I have found at some fast food placed that are actually pretty good for you!



 Wendys Mandarin Chicken Salad
This is a grilled chicken salad with mandarin oranges.   It comes with sliced almonds and wonton noodles, and a oriental sesame dressing.

I use only the almonds, and throw away the noodles. Like that the salad is only 330 calories!  Now of course you need dressing!  I usually used honey mustard and only use a very small amount. So it probably adds about 60 calories.   This I used to eat constantly when I did South Beach diet.   Although mandarin oranges are fruit and therefore carbs, citric fruits don't raise your blood sugar as much or as fast as other fruits.

 Wendy's Taco Salad

I LOVE spicy food.  This salad is great because its made with chili.  
Again i customize this, and throw away the tortilla strips, I only use half the dressing, and half the sour cream.  So it ends up being around 500 calories. 

I also like spicy foods because they cause you to drink more water! 

I also love Wendy's becuase their website allows you to customize what  toppings you eat on the salad, and it will tell you an exact calorie count and nutrition information


McDonalds Southwest Salad with grilled chicken.

This is so yummy.  Its grilled chicken, oven-roasted tomatoes, fire-roasted corn, savory black beans, poblano peppers, shredded cheddar and jack cheeses, chili lime tortilla strips and a fresh-sliced lime wedge on the side.
Again, I scrape off the tortilla strips and only use half the dressing.  So it ends up being around 375 calories. 




Bottom Line, Its all about portion control and making the right choices.   Obviously fast food is not the best option for lunch, but when you make the right choices you can get a decent meal that wont ruin your diet!

No comments: